Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Reading Diary A: Sister Nivedita's Kali the Mother

For this week, I decided to read another story from Sister Nivedita. I really liked her stories about Krishna, and this week I thought it might be a nice change to look at something other than the epics. Her writing is much more essay-like in this story and it was a complete shift away from what I had expected. She had some really interesting passages on the importance of language and symbols and how we use those to create our own ideas of divinity. I really liked a lot of her thoughts, but she didn't present a lot about who Kali is and what she's done. I'm hoping there's a bit more in the second part that would allow me to generate more ideas for telling a story.
Kali the mother: source: wikimedia

No comments:

Post a Comment