Sunday, August 23, 2015

One of my Favorite Places

For my junior year at OU, I was lucky enough to study in Bordeaux, France. Its been a little over a year since I left Bordeaux, but I can still remember wandering its streets and alleys.
Cathedral of Saint Andrew in Bordeaux, taken by author August 2013
One of the very first landmarks I came across was actually one of the oldest parts of Bordeaux: The Cathedral of Saint Andrew. I'm not a very religious person, but I couldn't help but find myself fascinated with the cathedral's presence and majesty. It's still funny for me to think about how this cathedral predates almost everything in the US.
Mirroir d'Eau in Bordeaux, taken by author August 2013
A much more recent landmark was the Mirroir d'Eau, or the Mirror of Water. This is one of the largest reflecting ponds in Europe, and was originally put in as an art installation next to the river in the early 2000's. Now, it's a staple of the city, and is one of the most frequented tourist locations.
Place de la Bourse in Bordeaux, taken by author August 2013
The final place I'll talk about wasn't exactly the most interesting site, but it's one that became really important to me as I lived in Bordeaux. The Place de la Bourse was originally where all of the financial offices for the port of Bordeaux used to be; now, it's just an open plaza surrounded by apartments. However, its pretty close to the center of the city and it's known to be a pretty great meeting place. My friends and I would often meet up at the fountain, or just hang out in the plaza to enjoy the (frequently wonderful) weather. It's impossible for me to really sum up how I feel about Bordeaux in just one blog post, but I hope it did give you a small glimpse of this amazing place that I got to call home for a year.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, reading this makes me want to go to Bordeaux, Jacob! I've been to Paris, but I've never traveled around to other places in France... maybe someday! Thank you for sharing these lovely pictures. Now if only we could all magically travel to INDIA in order to BE THERE for this class. Alas, we will have to make do with stories and art and the power of our own imaginations! :-)

    I hope you will enjoy the class!!!

    P.S. I have to say that "turmeric-tinged" is a VERY elegant title.

    ReplyDelete