Sunday, August 30, 2015

Week 1: Curation

I'm very excited to try the curation techniques we've talked about. I've never been a great user of bookmarks, and it always comes back to bite me when I'm looking for sites and resources I need. The only site I've ever really used to manage useful sites and articles is a website called Zotero.
Zotero homepage; link here
Zotero is a site that you can use to organize and share all sorts of articles and citations. This makes researching things online infinitely easier. The site also comes with a plugin that you can install into your web browser that allows you to automatically add pages to your collection. It allows you to add all kinds of tags and notes to make sifting through sources faster. 

I'm also really looking forward to exploring the other resources. I'd always thought Pinterest and Twitter were just more social networks that didn't have a ton of real-world applications, but it would be really cool to also use them to catalog and share things. Known also seems like it could be very useful. I'm less familiar with it, but I can already imagine how I would use it. 

All in all, I do hope that through these resources I do become better at organizing the resources and materials I find online. I think that's a really valuable skill that will make my life that much easier if I continue on in academia.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing information about Zotero. It seems like a helpful tool for academics trying to keep their information organized. I might have to try and use it before the semester is over. I really like Pinterest, although I use it more informally. I think it’s cool how this class demonstrates to use it for schoolwork, whereas I originally use it for recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this tool! I think it would be very beneficial in keeping things organized. I have never heard of this site and may use it before the semester ends. I really like using pinterest and this site kind of reminds me of it. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete