Thursday, September 10, 2015

Week 3 Storytelling: Hanuman and the Mountain

It's a generally accepted rule that traffic in the city will always be at its worst precisely when you need to get somewhere in a hurry. This was certainly the case for Dr. Han Uman, the newest resident physician at Sacred Flower Hospital, one of the largest medical facilities in Uptown Manhattan. It was his first day on the job; fresh-faced and just out of med school, he couldn't wait to begin practicing. Of course, being the lowest on the metaphorical totem pole made him, in a practical sense, less of a doctor and more of an intern. His first task was unequivocally mundane: a shipment of medications meant for Sacred Flower had been incorrectly delivered to St. Himalaya's Hospital on the other side of the city, and no one else could be bothered to go pick it up. He hopped in his car, an old pick-up truck he had been given by his father, and started making his way downtown. After maybe four or five minutes, his phone started ringing; it was the hospital.

"Hello? This is Dr. Uman."

A woman's voice spoke, textured by age "Han, this is Vibi, I run the pharmacy. I've been told by the director that there are some time-sensitive materials in the delivery. We had missed it the first time we looked through the shipping statement, and we need you to hurry back as soon as you can." She took a breath, hesitant, "Without those medications, some of our patients' conditions could dramatically worsen. I don't mean to alarm you but this is a rather critical situation."

The urgency in her voice washed over Han like a cold wave. "Understood. I'll make it back on time"

The drive to St. Himalaya's was entirely uneventful. It was early morning and the city was still waking up. He walked into the lobby, talked to the secretary at the desk, and made a beeline to the pharmacy. The old man at the desk was less expedient than Han would have liked, but he didn't have time to complain. He rushed back to his truck just in time to find it being towed away. Unbeknownst to Han, the parking attendant had assumed the elderly vehicle had died in the parking lot and was forsaken by its owner. Han, being someone who had always struggled with the idea of keeping calm in the face of adversity, spotted an EMT heading towards one of the parked ambulances, and ran over to him. It had never occurred to Han to try explaining the situation; rather, he took the keys out of the man's hands, jumped in the ambulance and never stopped to look back.

At this time, most of the city's commuters were making their way to work (or more commonly, coffee and then work) and the roads were packed with cars. In theory, an ambulance should be able to make to maneuver through traffic with relative ease; in practice, this cannot be done when hundreds of cars are bumper-to-bumper in every lane. Han, after briefly considering driving on the sidewalk, jumped out of his stolen vehicle and began bobbing and weaving through the cars, carrying the medicine in a bag slung over his shoulder.
(To be continued)

 
Hanuman and the mountain; Source: wikimedia
   Author's note: This is a retelling of "Hanuman and the Mountain," as taken from Myths of Hindus and Buddhists by Sister Nivedita in 1914. This story immediately reminded me of the medical dramas on TV so I thought I would give it a new modern twist. I tried to incorporate some references to the original story with the names of the hospitals and characters, and I tried to preserve Hanuman's characteristic rashness. The essence of the story is the same: Hanuman has to overcome a number of obstacles to get some sort of medicine to heal the troops of Rama (or in this case, the patients at the hospital) and manages to do so with a mix of skill and well-placed frustration. I chose this image less so because it relates to my story and more because the huge monument shows the importance and popularity of this tale within India. I wanted to make this fantastic, almost absurd story and its supernatural elements more easily relatable to a contemporary audience. Also, I decided to leave the story on a cliff hanger because it seemed really fitting for the medical drama setting...also I was going to go over the word limit for this assigment, and thought it was a good place to break off the story.

6 comments:

  1. A two-parter, nice! Weaving a myth into everyday tasks makes it more relatable, at least to me. I also like how you fit the names and personalities of the characters in the traditional myths in a modern context as well. I think the classic Hanuman character would have stolen an ambulance like Dr. Uman as well, but he would probably have a joyride in it too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Jacob, I am glad I picked this story at random to look at. I was attracted to it because of the title (this is one of my favorite episodes in the Ramayana), and you had me hooked right from the start: epic traffic! What an ingenious way to recast the old story in a new form! And I love the way you have little clues there, like the Sacred Flower Hospital, which will resonate so nicely for people who know the traditional version. Plus you did such a good job with the details and the movement from scene to scene that I could see all of this happening moment by moment. Fabulous!

    And listen, this is such a famous episode that it has a whole comic book of its own which you might want to look at sometime just to see how the Indian storytellers expanded on the tale:
    Hanuman to the Rescue: Hanuman Brings the Sanjeevani
    Even if you just look at the reading guide there, you can see all the many obstacles that Hanuman faced as the storytellers made the story more and more detailed, enjoying the amazing powers that Hanuman possesses to overcome every obstacle... and surpass any amount of rush-hour traffic too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacob, I loved how you added a medical sense to it, because I love watching medical shows (Grey's Anatomy), so it was interesting to see this type of twist to the Epic. I do agree with the story when it says that when you need to get somewhere in a hurry, it seems like that is when traffic is the worse. I have had that happen to me once or twice so I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacob, this was great! The sense of urgency in your story was evident all the way through, and Dr. Uman really felt like a real person to me. Your setting was clear--a busy city, with enough population to sustain several hospitals near each other as well as the traffic that comes along with it. I particularly liked the line when Han receives the news that the medications are time-sensitive, and the realization "washed over Han like a cold wave". This imagery was awesome, and it really stuck with me through the rest of the reading. Han seems to be one of the people who wouldn't have luck if he didn't have bad luck, but we all have days like that. I might suggest breaking the paragraphs up a little more in the future, but that's a pretty minor point. I like the format you have overall, especially the font. Georgia's a really readable font, and it was designed to be read on computers, which is cool! Thanks for a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can honestly say that this was the most well written story I have read thus far. There were virtually no spelling or grammatical errors and the story flowed very smoothly and stayed consistent. Often, when I read these other stories, I tend to get lost and confused as they jump from one subject to the next without any context as the story unfolds, so it always makes your story come off as much more appealing when it is well written and easy to understand. Furthermore, I also really enjoyed the style in which it was written; there wasn't too much character dialogue and the narration definitely fit well with the story that was being told. The doctor's name was also very clever! I didn't even notice until his name was said again in the story, that it spelled out Hanuman! That is always fun to put things like that in to your story because it makes it much more entertaining to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is an excellent story, Jacob.

    What a crazy unfortunate day for Dr. Uman! Those misadventures come to him one after one. It drives Dr. Uman to insane, so he takes the risk to spot an ambulance.

    Though the story is not ending, I want to guess the second part. Dr. Uman will continually meet troubles but he reaches the pharmacy on time; patients are all safe. When he was celebrating, he received several bills from traffic regulations.

    I may reading the next part in the following week as extra credit commenting.

    ReplyDelete